Form Tools Demo
Create me a demo!
Welcome to our online demo! Use the form below to create your own unique, pre-configured installation of Form Tools. You are welcome to do anything you like with it: delete forms, clients, fields, add data, uninstall modules and more. Knock yourself out!
Demos last for 24 hours only. They are automatically deleted when their time expires.
About the Form Tools Demo
It's tough! Form Tools is a big, advanced script with a lot of components. Some features you'll use all the time, others you won't - and everyone needs something slightly different. And even though Form Tools has some great help documentation available, let's face it: it's usually simpler to just show how something works rather than explain it.
When you request a new Form Tools demo, you get an unique, custom installation of Form Tools, generated for you alone. The demo includes a fake registration site so you can get a sense of how Form Tools may be integrated into your website. We've configured the demo to highlight a few things that are most likely to be of use to you. We've added some forms, created some clients, added some visualizations, reports and more.
All demos expire after 24 hours, when they get deleted from the server.
Unfortunately, in order to prevent evildoers from abusing it, we had to disable the following features:
- File uploads
- Email notifications
- Publishing new Form Builder forms
The following pages highlight some of the more central aspects of the demo:
- The Forms - this page describes each form in the demo, and how they differ.
- Client Accounts - this describes each client account, and what they have access to.
- Modules - a little info about Form Tools modules.
- The Form Builder module - all about the Form Builder module.
- Charts and Graphs - about the Data Visualization module.
- Reports - about the Reports module.
- Pages module - about the Pages module.
Demo Features » The Forms
The Form Tools demo includes four preconfigured forms.
- It's a 4-page form, collecting a variety of information from the user: contact info, emergency contact info, guest info, hotel and travel info.
- It uses the Form Builder module to submit the form contents to Form Tools. The form uses a custom Template Set to make it fit in with the site.
- The entire form, Review page and thankyou page are generated through the module. No PHP needed!
- Like the registration form, it uses the Form Tools API to submit the form content.
- It includes a CAPTCHA to prevent spam. This functionality is built into the API.
You can learn more about how the different ways to integrate your forms in the help documentation.
Staff MembersThe forms listed above are all found on the public site, where anyone can use them. This form is different: it only exists in Form Tools for use by the administrator. This form lets the administrator keep track of all staff members and take notes on them.
Form Tools uses the terms internal and external to differentiate between these form types (i.e. forms found on the public site and only within Form Tools). Read more about the differences here.
Demo Features » Client Acounts
Form Tools lets you create any number of client accounts. "Clients" are people that have been given access to the Form Tools interface to view/manage the form data.
Each account can be configured to see different things: different forms, form content, menu options, export options, data visualizations. You can precisely fine-tune the permissions so they see exactly what you want, change the user interface language and overall theme. You get a lot of control!
In the demo, there are four client accounts:
- The event coordinator.
- She can only see the registration form data - but all of it.
- Her interface is styled with the "Aquamarine" swatch of the Default theme.
- The travel coordinator.
- He has access to the hotel and travel info in the registration form, but nothing else. He cannot edit any of the data: just view and download it.
- The volunteer coordinator.
- When she logs in, she can only see the volunteer form data.
- her interface is set up to use the "Classic Grey" theme.
- The website administrator.
- When he logs in, he only sees what people have sent through the contact form.
Demo Features » Modules
Form Tools was designed to be modular. Instead of having to install the entire script, and then wade through all the unneeded features to find the ones you want, you can just pick and choose what functionality you need depending on your own requirements. The Form Tools Core contains all the code you need to run the script, but the modules are where all the fun stuff happens!
The full list of modules is found here; the demo only includes a small subset.
When you're inside the demo's administration section (using the username/password: admin/pass123), click on the Modules navigation link to see what modules have been installed. We won't discuss each and every one here, just a few:
- Form Builder - a premium module that lets you generate forms automatically on your site.
- Data Visualization - this is a premium module which lets you visualize your form data via graphs and charts.
- Report Builder - this is another premium module which displays a simple page of all reports for your forms. Very client-friendly.
- Pages module - this module lets you add arbitrary pages into the Form Tools interface to display whatever information you want.
Demo Features » The Form Builder module
The Form Builder module is the newest and most exciting addition to Form Tools. This module lets you automatically generate forms that are pre-configured with Form Tools. You can generate single or multi-page forms containing whatever fields in whatever grouping and order you want. In your demo, visit the Edit Form -> Publish tab for the Registration form to see how the Form Builder works.
There are many benefits to using the Form Builder over manually integrating your forms. Here are a few:
- No programming experience necessary.
- Very quick and easy to generate your own forms (single page and multi-page) on your site.
- Automatic generation of "Review" and "Thankyou" pages.
- Utilize all the special Form Tools field types (Dates, Times, phone numbers, Google Maps, WYSIWYG etc) fields in your forms, not just in the Form Tools interface.
- Choose from a set of attractive, pre-existing templates or create your own.
- Publish multiple forms on your site, each looking different, containing different fields, but all submitting to the same database table, where you can manage the submissions in a single location.
- Any of your existing Internal or External forms may be instantly converted to Form Builder forms to be published on your site.
- Unlike External Forms, you now manage your forms entirely through Form Tools. No more updating your forms in two places - once in your form, once in the Form Tools interface.
Demo Features » Graphs & Charts
When you log into the demo under the administrator account (admin / pass123), you'll see a page like the screenshot to the right. This is a custom page created with the Pages module, and contains visualizations created by the Data Visualization module.
The three graphs on the page display the activity on the three public forms: the registration, volunteer and contact forms. In essence, this provides a simple dashboard page for the administrator as soon as they log in. You can add anything you want to the page, including visualizations from any form, and of any size.
On the Submission Listing pages
When you're in your demo, try viewing the submissions for the registration or volunteer form. There, you'll see a small pie chart icon. Click it and it will open up a dialog window like the screenshot to the right. It displays any visualizations that have been configured for the form.
To create your own visualizations, just click on the "Data Visualization" link in the left navigation. There, you may create whatever other visualizations you'd like.
Please note, unlike most of the other features in the demo, the Data Visualization module is a premium module.
Demo Features » Reports
Just click on the "Reports" link in the left navigation to see the reports for each of the forms. The screenshot to the right shows how the page typically looks. To add a new report for a form, just create a new form View, containing whatever subset of the form data you want.
Demo Features » Pages module
The pages module was one of the very first Form Tools modules ever written. It lets you add any number of custom pages to your Form Tools interface. Pages may be written in HTML, PHP or Smarty and contain whatever you want. They may be assigned to any menu (client or admin). This module is exceedingly useful for helping you customize your Form Tools interface for different users.
This is just the tip of the iceberg! There's oodles more functionality not shown in the demo, so here's a little more information for those of you keen on learning more.
Further Information » Documentation
Form Tools is a very big script! So documenting all the features and functionality was absolutely paramount to help people from getting lost. In addition to each module's documentation, we also have:
|User Documentation||This contains information about how to use the core script. It includes a discussion of all the Core features, what's changed since 2.0.x, what's available and how it works. If you want to learn more about the script, this is the place to start!|
|Installation||How to install Form Tools on your web server (it's easy, really).|
|Upgrading||Instructions on how to upgrade from any previous version of Form Tools.|
|Form Tools API||This section documents the various API functions written for things like integrating Form Tools with your multi-page forms, adding CAPTCHAs, displaying image files - and other tasks like creating and modifying user accounts via PHP rather than through the Form Tools UI.|
|Translations||Everything about the Form Tools translations. How they're made, who they're made by, how to help...|
|Tutorials||Tutorials on various subjects.|
|Core Changelog||The history of changes to the Form Tools Core.|
Further Information » The API
The goal of the API is to provide communication and integration between Form Tools and the outside world. It contains functionality for tasks such as submitting form submissions via PHP code rather than POSTing in the information to process.php, accessing and display Form Tools data in your own webpages, managing client accounts via code rather than the Form Tools interface and other such stuff.
Further Information » Download and install!
Enough of the demo already! Form Tools is free to download and explore. If you ever have any questions, comments, feature suggestions, angry rants - or anything else - just pop by our forums. We'd love to hear from you.